Tuesday 15 November 2011

Visiting the town and the library

My Dad had to go to see the doctor today...Mum went along too.  Well, he's just been told he has to go on insulin, you see, so they were having a lesson (for want of a better word) on how to give the injections.  I didn't need to go...I've got a background in nursing, so that's why.  And Mum is with it enough to get all the information needed.  If it was just Dad going on his own, it would be a different story.  We think he is in the early stages of dementia... another good reason for my coming home at this time.  I want to be able to spend time with him, before he gets worse and "slips away" from us. 

That was a slightly sad paragraph, wasn't it?  But it's all a part of my life.

Anyway, I did take a ride into town with them, and strolled around the town alone for a little while.  It's such a cute little town..cobbled streets...little sweet shops, flower shops, lots and lots of charity shops, supporting such causes as the Cancer Society, Barnado's Children's Homes, Age Concern, Oxfam... and there is also a wonderful charity shop which sells nothing but books.  It is in aid of Mental Health.  Wonderful shop!!  Especially for someone like me who has such a passion for books!  :)

Just a few steps away from this book store is the Baptist Church.  Another building which has changed, almost beyond recognition for me.  Back in 1975, when I was saved, it was this Church that I attended.  I wanted to check out the service times, and I have all the information I need now.  So I am hoping to be able to be in service on Sunday morning.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to walk to the Church..it's just too far.  And there are no buses running on Sunday.  So, we'll leave it in God's Hands, and see what happens.  If I can't get there, there is another possibility though, which is the tiny little Gospel Hall just up the lane.  I'm sure that their service would be wonderful too...it's just that I would like to go back to the Church where I have my roots, you know?

I also found myself in the library today.  Getting a card!  That's my card in the picture, on top of one of the two books I borrowed.  This book is a biography of Jane Austen, which I'll read along as Wicked..one is light reading, one is educational.. that's my story, and I'll stick to it!  :)  The second book I borrowed was by Miss Read.. "The Early Years".  I will read that one too, but my first thought was that my Mum would love to read it.  And I'm right...she dived right in!  We know each other's tastes very well! 

The library has changed so much since I was a child.  It's now MUCH smaller..there used to be two floors, with lots of study space.  But now it is just one floor.  You check out and check in your own books.  And it seems, from what I hear around town, that it is in fact in danger of being closed.  I hope that doesn't happen.  I've always loved my local libraries, on both sides of the ocean.  My library in my small town in America was wonderful.  I spent an awful lot of time there.  Before I left England 20 years ago, I spent a lot of time in the library.  And I expect I'll be there a lot again now.  I suppose Kindles and the internet generally might be causing the lack of support for the library??  I don't know..I just hope that they will not soon become a thing of the past. 

The only thing I was just a little disappointed in was this:  I truly wanted to have the card with the elephant and the pig.  I love pigs.  But no, I was not allowed to do that, because that card was only for children.  Sigh. Deeply.  I couldn't change the dear librarian's mind, not for love nor toffee!!!  So, I have a grown up card which shows a view of Ranmore Common, in Dorking. 

I wonder if wanting a child's design on my card, just really means that I'm nothing but a big kid!  LOL 

:)



No comments:

Post a Comment